Friday, February 17, 2012

Skillet Mushrooms with Chard and Barley



"Mushrooms, Barley and Chard! Oh my!"

Call me crazy, but I just can't get enough of these amazing, healing, delicious foods!

Combine them all together in one gorgeous dish and I am in heaven! So, you can imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon a recipe including all three that I just have to share with you!

I'll get to the recipe in a minute. I want you to be as enthusiastic as I am about it so I need to rant and rave a bit about mushrooms, barley, and chard.

Mushrooms:
A Vegetarian's dream come true. Why? Because sometimes tofu, veggies and brown rice just doesn't cut it. We need to sink our teeth into something meaty, thick and juicy. Enter the mushroom. They're pretty good raw but even better when marinated and grilled. Toss them into salads, rice dishes, soups, and stews. Mix them into home made macaroni and cheese or add a layer of grilled mushrooms to lasagna. YUMMY!

Portabella mushrooms are my personal favoritet! I take whole portabella mushrooms, cut off the stems, brush the mushroom caps with a bit of olive oil and grill until tender. Then I place them on whole grain buns with all the fixin's. They're thick, tender, juicy--better than hamburgers! Honestly.

Did you know mushrooms are the only natural source of Vitamin D? Except for the sun, that is. I know so many people diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiencies.  So they start taking supplements.  Why not do it naturally, instead? Get 10 - 15 minutes of good, old-fashioned sunshine every day and eat your mushrooms!   

Barley:
A grain and good one. Often neglected,  barley is a nutritional powerhouse and perfect for those with diabetes. According to the American Diabetes Association, barley is on the list of low GI foods. In other words, it doesn't increase your blood sugar levels as quickly as white bread, potatoes, or other carbohydrates. 

Barley is rich in fiber, naturally cholesterol-free and low in fat. A 1/2-cup serving of cooked pearl barley, a typical grain serving, contains less than 1/2 gram of fat and only 100 calories. Barley also contains several vitamins and minerals including niacin (Vitamin B3), thiamine ( Vitamin B1), selenium, iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and copper.

Chard:
Commonly know as Swiss Chard and sadly, another often ignored powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. Chard is an excellent source of Vitamins C, E and K, carotenes, chlorophyll, and fiber. It also contains several minerals including potassium. magnesium, iron and maganese.  And let's not forget Vitamin B6, protein, calcium, thiamine, selenium. zinc, niacin, and folic acid. Simply stated, chard is one of the most powerful anti-cancer foods you can eat. So buy it, cook it, and eat it- OFTEN!

Combine all three ingredients in one dish and you have the most glorious, powerful, healing, life-giving meal.

And now....... the recipe:

Skillet Mushrooms with Chard and Barley

Enjoy and let me know how it turns out!  I would love to hear from you!

GO BACK TO CYNFULLY GOOD LIVING

No comments:

Post a Comment