Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Best Lentil Almond Burgers Ever!

photo from Eatingwell.com


I must be honest and confess-- I  keep a package of veggie burgers in my freezer.  They're convenient to have on hand when I don't have time to cook.  In the summer, one of my friends is always having an impromtu BBQ so if I don't have a supply of homemade burgers,  I'll toss a couple of veggie burgers in my purse. I wrap them in foil to cook on the grill along with all the hamburgers and hotdogs. 

I am not a huge fan of the pre-packaged, frozen veggie burger, but it can be quite a life-saver on those days I just don't have time to prepare my own.  I prefer homemade burgers made from beans and grains. They're obviously healthier and they taste so much better.  

Here is my favorite burger recipe made from lentils and almonds. These are so delicious. I put them on whole grain hamburgers rolls and serve with all the regular fixings.

This recipe comes from Eatingwell.com.  I've adjusted it slightly to make it vegan.  These burgers are  delicate so flip them gently in the pan when you cook them. They will most likely fall apart if you grill them so my advice is not even try. You can wrap them in a bit of foil, however, and re-heat them on the BBQ, if desired.

Lentil and Almond Burgers
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 cup brown lentils or green French lentils (see Ingredient note)
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, ,divided
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped carrot
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots (about 2 medium)
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped celery (about 1 stalk) (about
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer mixed in 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice


 
  • 1. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in lentils, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until very tender and beginning to break down, about 25 minutes for brown lentils or 30 minutes for green lentils. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve.


  • 2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrot, shallots and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add almonds, thyme, salt and pepper; continue cooking until the almonds are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor; add 1 cup of the cooked lentils. Pulse several times, scraping down the sides once or twice, until the mixture is coarsely ground. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the remaining lentils. Let cool for 10 minutes. Mix in egg replacer and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour

  • 3. Form the lentil mixture into 5 patties. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn gently and continue to cook until lightly browned and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve immediately.


  • Ingredient Note: French green lentils are smaller and firmer than brown lentils. They cook more quickly, too, about 20 minutes. They can be found in natural-foods stores and some larger supermarkets.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment