Black Bean Croquettes.
These are easy to make and BAKED, not fried so they are better for you and lower in fat and calories. Serve them with warm whole wheat tortillas, homemade coleslaw or a tossed green salad. These are so good and so satisfying, no one will ever miss the meat!
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, hot if desired, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mash black beans and cumin with a fork in a large bowl until no whole beans remain. Stir in corn and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. To make the salsa: combine tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir 1 cup of the tomato mixture into the black bean mixture. Reserve the rest to serve with the croquettes later.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, oil and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder in a small bowl until the breadcrumbs are coated with oil. Divide the bean mixture into 8 scant 1/2-cup balls. Lightly press each bean ball into the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the croquettes until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir avocado into the remaining tomato mixture. Serve the salsa with the croquettes.
Recipe from http://www.eatingwell.com/
Healthy. Easy. Meatless. Cynfully Good......