Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sugar Free, Vegan Carrot Cake



I very rarely eat sweets. I never really crave cookies, pie or cake.  Chocolate does absolutely nothing for me. I know!  I am not normal.................

These past few weeks, I have been looking around for a little sumthin' sumthin' to have with my evening tea.  This is highly unusual behavior for me.

There are a couple of explanations for this sudden passion and desire for something sweet.  I mean, come ON! I do this for a living, so you know I've been analyzing myself! 

Eventually, I'll get around to sharing with you the reasons why I want sweet treats right now.  In the mean time, here are my thoughts about sweet cravings: SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA GO WITH IT!

Can I satisfy my sweet cravings and still stay true to my healthy, nourishing way of eating?

ABSOLUTELY!

I stumbled upon this delicious recipe for carrot cake. YUMMY! I love carrot cake AND carrots are healthy! It's completely VEGAN and made with whole wheat flour (also good for me--I have no issues with wheat or gluten). This luscious cake is sweetened with fruit, dates and orange juice. NO SUGAR!  How wonderful is that? I can even toss a handful of chopped walnuts or almonds into the batter for a little extra protein and some good fat. Good fat from nuts will help me manage stress.  Stress is the reason I am craving sweets in the first place!

This cake smells so amazing when it's baking in the oven. My house is filled with the aroma of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg............ all warming scents that remind me how much I love the fall and everything that comes with it: apple picking, carving pumpkins, Halloween, Thanksgiving......

Making, baking and tasting this cake makes me feel so much better about everything! It's a total body, mind, spirit experience.

Here's the recipe:

Enjoy................

No comments:

Post a Comment