What better way to celebrate Spring than with delicious asparagus? This is the time to enjoy it. Look for the thin, green spears. Those are the tastiest and the most tender. Serve this dish with fresh tomato bruschetta on whole grain toasts on the side and a colorful salad.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch segments
- 1 clove garlic, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, or more as desired
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or Vegan alternative)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it.
- Add the asparagus and cook until fully tender but not mushy, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain well, reserving some of the cooking liquid, and let the asparagus cool slightly.
- Transfer the asparagus to a food processor and add the garlic, pine nuts, 2 tablespoons of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan, a pinch of salt and a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- Process the mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container if necessary, and gradually add the remaining California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and a bit more of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten if necessary.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse one last time, and serve over pasta (or cover and refrigerate for up to a day). From http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/