Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Udon with Tofu and Asian Greens

I don't know about you, but when I overindulge in too many rich, fatty, processed foods or junk food (occasionally I cave to Doritos), my body cries out for meals that are simple, green and nourishing. 

Rich, fatty foods, too many sweets or junk food put too much stress on my body and  I feel the effects almost immediately. I become sluggish, bloated and nasty. I must have fruit, vegetables and simple, food right away! 

As as rule, the majority of my diet consists of plant based protein (tofu, beans, etc.), lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, and brown rice. I steer away from sweets, processed, packaged convenience foods and white flour, white sugar carbs. But, just like everyone, I occasionally make poor eating choices. When I do that, I know it's time to bring my body back into balance by cooking nourishing food.

Here's the recipe (from Yummly.com) for one of my favorite nourishing, balancing meals:  Udon with Tofu and Asian Greens. It's nothing fancy, so easy to prepare and full with protein and plenty of nutritious greens. Also, a little heat from red pepper flakes to rev up your metabolism.

Here's the recipe:

8 oz Udon noodles
3 T sesame oil mixed with 1 T vegetable oil
12 oz firm tofu, cut into 12 pieces
kosher salt
11 oz Asian cooking greens or baby spinach
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
pinch red pepper flakes
3 T tamari or soy sauce

Cook the udon noodles as the label directs. (Don't overcook or they will get mushy.) Drain, reserving about 1/3 cup of the cooking water.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Pat the tofu dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Add the tofu to the skillet and sear until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.

Add 1 tablespoon oil and the greens to the skillet. Cook, tossing, until just wilted. Add the scallions, red pepper flakes, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and the tamari sauce.  Add the reserved cooking water; heat to create a broth. Divide the noodles and greens among 4 bowls and top with the tofu.

If you have been indulging a little too much lately, try this delicious healing meal. It's Cynfully Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment