Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Banana Nut-Butter Spread


I LOVE bananas! I eat one every day. They are good for me, loaded with potassium, and the perfect-on-the go snack!

I try to always buy organic bananas but sometimes the cost is so outrageous I get the conventional kind. The peel (which is always discarded) acts as a shield for any pesticides. If you can find fair priced organic bananas, however, I recommend you try them. They really do taste better.

No matter how quickly eat my bananas, I always have one or two that are too ripe. They start getting soft and brown. I hate when they get like that. I like to them when they are still slightly green. But, I hate to waste anything so if I am not going to toss my overly-ripened bananas into bread or pancake batter, I make a delicious spread with them. SO good, quick and nutritious.

Here's what I do:

I take about two teaspoons of All-Natural Organic Peanut, Almond or Cashew butter and soften it. I do this a few different ways: leave it out for awhile to soften at room temperature, put it in a pan on the stove for a minute, or if I am really in a rush, I put it in a little bowl and pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds. You don't want it to become liquid. You want it to be soft and very easy to spread.

Then I take 1/4 of a very ripe banana and mash with a fork right into my butter mixture. Stir it all really well and VIOLA! I have just created a delicious, nutritious spread!

Spread it on Cinnamon Raisin toast (I am loving Alvarado St. Bakery Organic Sprouted Wheat), on a whole grain bagel, crackers,  use it as a dip for sliced apples, carrots and celery, OR spoon it over waffles and pancakes instead of all that sugary syrup. It's naturally sweet and packed with protein so it will satisfy your sugar and fat cravings and provide plenty of energy so you can keep going for hours.

The next time you have a few very ripe bananas- try this Cynfully Good home-made spread!

No comments:

Post a Comment