Monday, August 8, 2011

Skillet Croutons


I very rarely buy or eat bread but when I do it's always freshly baked, crusty, whole-grain french bread. If by chance, every last slice isn't gobbled up at dinner, it's hard, stale and pretty much useless by the next day. Sometimes I will turn it into fresh breadcrumbs but those are useless to me, too. What am I going to use breadcrumbs for? I don't eat meat (no chicken cutlets) or fish (no stuffed flounder or baked clams) and when I make my eggplant parmigiana, it's layers and layers of marinated, grilled eggplant slices and fresh tomatoes- oozing with lots of vegan mozzarella. NO breading, no frying, no fattening, greasy, time consuming mess.  (My eggplant parm really is delicious, by the way).

One thing I do love: croutons in my salad but never the boxed kind. Those are just dried out, artificially flavored little squares of white bread.  Try making your own homemade croutons. They are very easy to make and taste so good! Cook them up in a cast iron skillet, if you have one. They will taste even better.

Skillet Croutons

makes one cup

1 cup 1/4-inch diced day-old baguette, french bread or Italian bread (preferably whole wheat)

1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon Galaxy Brand Vegan grated Parmesan-style cheese or regular grated Parmesan cheese

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

Toss all ingredients together in a bowl until bread cubes are well coated.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add seasoned bread cubes to pan and cook, turning occasionally, until golden all over, about 5 to 7 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Recipe adapted from In Jennie's Kitchen.com


Toss homemade croutons in salads and soups. It's a Cynfully Good way to use your day-old bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment