Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mujaddara with Spiced Yogurt



I love ethnic food, especially Middle Eastern cuisine. Here is an exotic, delicious recipe for Mujaddara with Spiced Yogurt.  This particular recipe calls for butter and greek-style yogurt, but I substitute the butter with Earth Balance spread and plain soy yogurt instead of the greek variety. It tastes just as good. 

This is the only time I give the nod to white rice because brown jasmine rice can be difficult to find.  You can buy it in some natural food markets but be aware, if you do use brown jasmine rice, it will need to cook longer than the white, so be sure to adjust your cooking time. Just don't skip the jasmine rice when creating this dish.  It really makes it special.


Rumor has it that the combination of lentils, onions and yogurt in Mujaddara wields near magical powers -- especially in women. I don't know about that, but I do know this dish is always a big hit when I make it.  I serve it Cynfully Good style with soft, whole wheat flatbread or pita (to scoop up the lentils and rice instead of utensils to make it truly authentic) and platters of fresh dates, figs, olives and nuts. Everyone sits on big pillows around my coffee table (covered with a brightly covered cloth) sipping wine and eating family style.  I light unscented candles and play Middle-Eastern music. The whole experience is pure magic.............


Here's the recipe from Food54.com:

Mujaddara with Spiced Yogurt


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment