Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cynfully Good Balsamic Vinaigrette



People are always asking me for my famous Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe. Most of the time, I invite them to come over and watch me make it because I rarely measure anything when I cook. I just add a bit of this and a bit of that until it's exactly how I want it.

I know most of you can't just get in the car and drive over to my place at dinner time, so today I tried to measured out the ingredients as best as possible.  I must warn you, however. This recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup of olive oil. This might scare the heck out of some of you- especially if you are watching your weight.

I do not believe in no-fat, low-fat, sugar-free foods or diets.  When your overall diet is good, healthy, and well-balanced or you are following MY Weight-Release program, this dressing mixed in a healthy, fresh, tossed green salad WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT!!  If you are still a little leery (old habits are tough to break) cut back a bit on the oil (but not too much). If you are worried about the dressing being too strong because you've reduced the oil, make up the difference with water. 

Here you go............

1/4 cup good quality Balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon (or less) organic maple syrup (this is optional but I always add it)
1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon of salt
pinch or two freshly ground black pepper
pinch of dry mustard (optional)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

You will have enough dressing for one large salad to serve at least 4 guests.

Beat the vinegar in a bowl with the maple syrup, garlic, salt, pepper and mustard with a wire whisk until well blended and salt dissolves. Add the oil ( a little at a time)  constantly whisking away as you add it. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Pour over your salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment